- All vessels must have at least one USCG-approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD (life jacket) for each person on board.
- In addition to the above requirement, one Type IV (throwable) USCG-approved PFD must be on board vessels 16 feet or longer, except canoes or kayaks.
- All PFDs must be in good and serviceable condition.
- All PFDs must be readily accessible and of the proper size for the intended wearer. Sizing for PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.
- While underway on a recreational vessel on any Iowa waters, a child under 13 years old must wear a USCG-approved life jacket unless the child is below deck or in an enclosed cabin.
- Each person being towed behind a vessel on water skis, a surfboard, or similar device must wear a USCG-approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD. Inflatable PFDs are not approved for persons being towed.
- Each person on board a personal watercraft (PWC) must wear a USCG-approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD. Inflatable PFDs are not approved for use on PWCs.
- Windsurfers are not required to wear a life jacket.
- Inflatable life jackets are not approved for use by persons under the age of 16.
Read and follow the label restrictions on all PFDs
For more info: http://publications.iowa.gov/15950/1/ia_handbook_entire.pdf